HH, Sir Godfrey Gregg D.Div
“Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)” Hebrews 10:23
“For no matter how many promises God has made, they are ‘Yes’ in Christ!” 2 Corinthians 1:20
The promises of God are sure and infallible; not Yes and then Nay — one thing today and an opposite thing tomorrow; but always Yes. And the Yes of Heaven is Yes indeed — it cannot direct astray or disappoint!
His very Names are promises:
- El Shaddai (The Lord God Almighty)
- Jehovah-Rophi (The God who heals you)
- Jehovah-Tsidkenu (The Lord our Righteousness)
- Jehovah Nissi (The Lord my Banner)
- Jehovah Jireh (The Lord will Provide)
- Jehovah-Raah (The Lord my Shepherd)
- Jehovah Shammah (The Lord is there)
- Jehovah Mekoddishkem (The Lord who sanctifies you)
- Jehovah Shalom (The Lord is peace)
- Father, Saviour, Shepherd, Husband —
what precious promises each name contains!
His Dealings in History are promises. Sooner or later He has overthrown the evil; sooner or later He has diademed the right. He has satisfied the poor with good things, while He has sent the rich empty away. It calls loud to me to hope. It says, “What He was to others yesterday — He will be to you today.”
The Doctrines of His Book promise.
- Justification: that is an assurance of spotless righteousness.
- Sanctification: that is an assurance of progressive holiness.
- Glorification: that is an assurance of holiness without flaw.
And so with all the rest. Every truth of the Bible is well in the wilderness — and the well is deep!
And, in addition, there are those distinct and gracious Love-words which I call the promises. They light up the pages of Scripture as the stars light up the nightly sky — a countless host, an exceeding great army! If I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.
Truly, with such a God, and with Him all my own — I shall lack no good thing. Let me say goodbye to my faint-heartedness. I am impotent in myself — but the fountains of my refreshment are in His great heart, and they are fountains of perpetual youth.
“He has bestowed on us His precious and exceedingly great promises!” 2 Peter 1:4