Sir Godfrey Gregg OHPM
Grand Commanding Officer
The Number 40
The number 40 seems to be around the number in Scripture denoting a generation. Some of the judges judged for 40 years (Othniel, Deborah, Barak, and Gideon). Saul, David, and Solomon each reigned as king for 40 years.
The Scriptures speak of the number 40 often:
- The flood rains lasted 40 days and 40 nights
- Moses was in Egypt 40 years, Midian 40 years, and on the mountain 40 days.
- Israel wandered in the wilderness for 40 years.
- The spies were in Canaan for 40 days.
- Elijah fasted for 40 days.
- 40 days was given to Nineveh.
- Jesus fasted 40 days
- Jesus was with His disciples for 40 days after His resurrection (Acts 1:3).