HH, Sir Godfrey Gregg D.Div
The Bible says in James 3:8, “But no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.” The tongue can be the most wicked weapon on earth, so use it wisely and speak your words with caution. As Christians, we shouldn’t fill our lives with deceit. We should always strive to leave honest, open lives that are full of trust and love. But, since we are all human, sometimes it is hard to avoid lying.
White lies and small omissions are still lies – we should always remember that. The option to lie should not be in a Christian’s life; we should always think of the truth first. We are not made perfect and we are tainted by Original Sin. But no matter how imperfect we are, we should always strive to be good people – and this means not lying.
Please read these Bible verses on lying if you need help with telling lies. Sometimes it is extremely difficult, to tell the truth, but God can give you the courage to do so.
- Genesis 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: —
- Leviticus 19:11 Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another. —
- Psalms 119:163 I hate and abhor lying: but thy law do I love. —
- Proverbs 12:22 Lying lips are an abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight. —
- Proverbs 13:5 A righteous man hateth lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and cometh to shame. —
- Proverbs 14:5 A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies. —
- Proverbs 17:7 Excellent speech becometh not a fool: much less do lying lips a prince. —
- Hosea 11:12 Ephraim compasseth me about with lies, and the house of Israel with deceit: but Judah yet ruleth with God, and is faithful with the saints. —
- Zephaniah 3:13 The remnant of Israel shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies; neither shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth: for they shall feed and lie down, and none shall make them afraid. —
- John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar and the father of it. —
- Acts 5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost and to keep back part of the price of the land? —
- Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. —
- Colossians 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; —
- 1-Timothy 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; —
- James 3:1 My brethren, be not many masters, knowing that we shall receive the greater condemnation. —
- Revelation 22:15 For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie. —