HH, Sir Godfrey Gregg D.Div
Marriage is a serious, yet joyous, bond. If you are considering getting married, remember that it is permanent. It is a representation of Christ’s love for His church – and just like that bond – your marriage should be a serious, lasting commitment. We are all human, so sometimes things happen in life that can cause strife in a marriage. But that does not mean that you should abandon it! Instead, we should all endure the trials that are required to fix a marriage if we are in one.
There is no storybook or fairytale love and that is what gets many marriages into trouble. People sometimes form marriage on superficial and short term feelings. The real love you should have in a marriage is a deep, Christian love. It is the love of God, of your partner, and of life. Life should be celebrated with your chosen partner, even when the going gets tough.
So if you are thinking about getting married or you are having trouble with your current marriage, you should turn to God for help See what the Bible says about marriage to ensure that Christ is at the center of your bond between you and your spouse or future spouse.
- Proverbs 12:4 A virtuous woman is a crown to her husband: but she that maketh ashamed is as rottenness in his bones. —
- Proverbs 18:22 Whoso findeth a wife findeth a good thing, and obtaineth favour of the LORD. —
- Ecclesiastes 9:9 Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun. —
- Matthew 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: —
- 2-Corinthians 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? —
- Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord. —
- Colossians 3:19 Husbands, love your wives, and be not bitter against them. —
- 1-Timothy 5:14 I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully. —
- 1-Peter 3:1 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; —