HH, Sir Godfrey Gregg D.Div
“Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying.” (Proverbs 19:18).
Waiting upon God is necessary in order to see Him, to have a vision of Him. The time element in the vision is essential. Our hearts are like a sensitive photographer’s plate; and in order to have God revealed there, we must sit at His feet a long time. The troubled surface of a lake will not reflect an object.
Our lives must be quiet and restful if we would see God. There is power in the sight of some things to affect one’s life. A quiet sunset will bring peace to a troubled heart. Thus the vision of God always transforms human life.
- Jacob saw God at Jabbok’s ford and became Israel.
- The vision of God transformed Gideon from a coward into a valiant soldier.
- The vision of Christ changed Thomas from a doubting follower into a loyal, devout disciple.
But men have had visions of God since Bible times. William Carey saw God, and left his shoemaker’s bench and went to India.
- David Livingstone saw God and left all to follow Him through the jungles of dark Africa.
- William Branham saw God and began to evangelize the world, with a message that only the Elisha will hear and understand.
- Oral Roberts, Billy Graham, Granville Williams, Conrad Sutherland, DaCosta Blucher and many more who came in contact with God and delivered that message to the world.
Scores and hundreds have had visions of God, and are today in the uttermost parts of the earth working for the speedy evangelization of the heathen.
There is hardly ever a complete silence in the soul. God is whispering to us well-nigh incessantly. Whenever the sounds of the world die out in the soul or sink low, then we hear the whisperings of God. He is always whispering to us, only we do not hear, because of the noise, hurry, and distraction which life causes as it rushes on.
“Speak, Lord, in the stillness,
While I wait on Thee;
Hushed my heart to listen
“Speak, O blessed Master,
In this quiet hour;
Let me see Thy face, Lord,
Feet Thy touch of power.
“For the words Thou speakest,
‘They are life,’ indeed;
Living bread from Heaven,
Now my spirit feed!
“Speak, Thy servant heareth!
Be not silent, Lord;
Waits for my soul upon Thee
For the quickening word!”