HH Sir Godfrey Gregg D.Div
“And Jacob was left alone, and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.” (Genesis 32:24).
Left alone! What different sensations those words conjure up to each of us. To some, they spell loneliness and desolation, to others rest and quiet. To be left alone without God would be too awful for words, but to be left alone with Him is a foretaste of Heaven! If His followers spent more time alone with Him, we should have spiritual giants again.
The Master set us an example. Note how often He went to be alone with God; and He had a mighty purpose behind the command, “When thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray.” There has to be only one reason to enter into thy closet and it is to pray. Therefore, when you come out there has to be a sign of rejuvenation in your spirit and soul.
- The greatest miracles of Elijah and Elisha took place when they were alone with God. It was alone with God that Jacob became a prince; and just there that we, too, may become princes–“men (aye, and women too!) wondered at” (Zechariah 3:8).
- Joshua was alone when the Lord came to him. (Joshua 1:1)
- Gideon and Jephthah were by themselves when commissioned to save Israel. (Judges 6:11 and 11:29)
- Moses was by himself at the wilderness bush. (Exodus 3:1-5)
- Cornelius was praying by himself when the angel came to him. (Acts 10:2)
- No one was with Peter on the housetop, when he was instructed to go to the Gentiles. (Acts 10:9)
- John the Baptist was alone in the wilderness (Luke 1:90),
- John the Beloved alone in Patmos, when nearest God. (Revelation 1:9)
Where are you alone with God? What can be said of you about the time you spent alone with God?
Covet to get alone with God. If we neglect it, we not only rob ourselves but others too, of blessing, since when we are blessed we are able to pass on the blessing to others. It may mean less outside work; it must mean more depth and power, and the consequence, too, will be “they saw no man save Jesus only.”
To be alone with God in prayer cannot be over-emphasized. There you must be able to prove yourself studying the word of God and rightly dividing it to His honour. Not for self-appeal or personal gains. Being alone is to draw closer to God and learn how to commune with Him. This is serious business, that is why you have to learn alone minding your own business and staying in your lane. Do not be distracted by the cares of this world and the overflow of gossip. Mind those that walk contrary to the word of God and save yourself from this wicked and perverse generation. (Remember not all “grin-teeth” is a smile)
“If chosen men had never been alone, In deepest silence open-doored to God, No greatness ever had been dreamed or done.”
[…] and there is one place to receive it. We have to find that place of quietness where you are BEING ALONE WITH GOD The place where He whispers “Be still and know that I am […]