Sir Godfrey Gregg D. Div
III. THE THIRD STEP TOOK PLACE ON THE ROAD TO THE HIGH PRIEST’S HOUSE WHERE THEY TOOK JESUS.
A. Peter started out unprepared. Pride, lack of prayer, lack of faithfulness and commitment to the Lord set the stage for Peter’s denial of Christ and for his great fall.
1. Matt. 26:58, states that Peter follow the Lord, but at a distance.
How many believers follow the Lord at a distance? Would it not be better to be by His side? Yet, often when difficulty comes we back off in a lack of faith.
2. This was the same man who proclaimed, “others may deny you but I never will.” Peter had said that he would follow the Lord even to death, I will not be absent from you side.
Paul speaking to the Galatians said, “Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?” Do you note that the verse says the once were faithful and doing well, but now they were not obeying the truth. That is the way is always happens.
3. Yet, here Peter was following, but at a distance.
4. How sad so many believers, choose to follow Jesus “at a distance”. No they do not leave Christ, they can not break the relationship, yet they take precautions to maintain a safe distance, least they be called on to sacrificially serve the Lord.
5. To follow Christ puts the believer at many times in opposition to the sinful world around them. The world hates Jesus. They hate truth. They do not look favorable on those who would live for Christ and stand for truth.
Christians know this……thus many want the blessing of eternal life….but are not comfortable getting to close to the Lord. They cannot seem to surrender to Him completely and for what ever reasons will not get too close.
The reasons they do not want Him too close is because it exposes their unfaithfulness to the Lord. Their sins come between them and the Lord and therefore the are most miserable of people. Not comfortable in the world, not comfortable close to the Savior.
6. Mark 14:54 says that Peter warmed himself at the fire in the court yard. How that is a picture of so many today. Making themselves comfortable while the evil world judges Christ and tries to destroy Him.
Many to a degree remain close to the world and they are looking back at it not wanting to lose all its worldly and destructive pleasures.
CONTINUES TOMORROW ….