The History of Candles in Spiritual and Santeria Works
The burning of candles for spiritual works goes back to ancient times. Many spiritual workers believe that the flame of the candle pierces the veil between the physical and the Spiritual world and creates a passageway that allows the prayers and petitions to be more readily received by those from whom help is being sought out.
The use of candles in the Santeria Religon has its roots in the long tradition of Roman Catholic Church candle burning. The Lucumi religion originated in Nigeria by the Yoruba tribe, was exported to the New World when slavery began. The slaves were forced to stop the adoration of their gods and deities and embrace the Catholic Saints of their capturers. Fearing corporal punishment and even death the slaves practiced Christianity against their will. Soon they began finding similarities between their African deities and the Catholic Saints and thus began the synchronization between their African Religion and Catholicism. This is the practice known today as Santeria. Same as in the Catholic Religion, candle burning is an essential part of the Santeria tradition.
How to Read a Candle Flame
You can find important messages in the flame. Here’s some tips for reading the flames of glass encased candles.
Candle is burning evenly and steadily
This is usually a very good sign. An indication that the spell or blessing will probably work out and that you will likely get your wish. If you are burning a candle inside a glass, look at the glass. Is the glass clean with little or no trace of the wax? GOOD! You have most likely casted a successful spell.
Candle hisses or makes sizzling noises
Listen! This may be a spirit, angel or some other worldly being trying to communicate. Clear your mind so you can receive the message.
Candle flame sparks
Don’t want to worry you but this is interpreted as some disillusion with what you are asking.
Candle flame is unsteady, dipping, rising and flaring constantly
If you are sure that your candle is not sitting by a draft, then this may be a sign that your spell is being met with some resistance by the person to whom it was intended. This person may be unconsciously aware of your actions and may be resisting the spell.
WORKING WITH CANDLE COLORS
Burning candles for spiritual work goes back a very long time. Spiritual workers use candles for wish making, casting spells, adding power to prayers, and veneration of dieties. While there are many candles that come with labels or screened glass that specify the purpose of their use, many spiritual workers do not wish for others to know their business and use plain glass candles to do their work. The Different color candles are used as follows:
- WHITE – Spirituality and spiritual healing, peace, purity, and rest. In Santeria this is the color of the Oricha Obatala. The Oricha Elegua also uses a white colored candle.
- GREEN – It is used for money, luck in gambling, succeeding in business, finding steady work, and good fortune in general.
- BLUE – For court case spells, for harmony and peace in the home, to have a joyful home, to promote good intentions. In Santeria this is the color of the Oricha Yemaya.
- RED – A powerful color used for passion, love, affection, bodily vigour. In Santeria this is the color of the Oricha Chango ruler of thunder and lightning.
- PINK – Used for attraction (come to me), romance, keeping a good life.
- YELLOW – Used for devotional prayer, symbolizes gold and fortune, fast luck, cheerfulness, attraction. In Santeria this is the color of the Oricha Ochun.
- ORANGE – Used for fortune telling (Madama), change of plans, opening the way, prophetic dreams. In Santeria this is the color of Chango Macho.
- BLACK – Used to separate, break up, repulse, thoughts of sorrow and despair, freedom from evil
- BROWN– for finding lost things, neutrality
- PURPLE – mastery, power, ambition, control, command , wealth
- RED AND BLACK – remove a love jinxing spell
- GRAY – A neutral color that serves to remove bad influences, negativity and promotes stability and peace of mind.
Candles can be dressed and anointed with aromatic oils to enhance their power.
Candle Color Believers: The Colors of Candles have a deep meaning and there are those who know what they mean and stand behind their meaning. These people will use certain color candles to help them focus and meditate on problems in their life or in others lives.
Candle Color Definitions:
- Abundance, growth, money, success, wealth, physical healing, health, marriage, fertility, employment, balance, Stimulates growth, healing, financial success, good luck, new job, good harvest, nature appreciation, love.
- Intellect, wisdom and honor, action, inspiration and creativity, studying and intelligence, concentration, memory, logic, learning, attraction, confidence, Mental powers, intellect, inspiration, concentration, retention of memory, energy, cheerfulness, sunny disposition, changes, endurance, stability and security.
- Yellow strengthens the imagination and concentration in a ritual. Is used in rituals in which the trust of a person is gained or in which one wants to convince someone.
- Energy, vitality, and strength, health, passion, sex, love, protection, fire, fertility, fast action, strength, potency, lust, blood, Physical love and passion, courage, warmth, energy, attraction, magnetism, desire, action, physical strength, power, willpower.
- Strengthens magnetism in a ritual, creates Ram and Scorpio energies.
- The Balance of all colors: Spiritual enlightenment, cleansing, clairvoyance, healing, truth-seeking, purity, innocence, clarity and unity, Dawn, purification, peace, truth, protection, spirituality, General work, cleansing, repels negativity; use to bring peace, spiritual strength, truth, purity; heals emotions, and provides protection.
- Note: White can be used in place of any other candle color and is suitable for any ritual
- Devotion, love, tenderness and faith, friendship, romance, honor, spiritual healing, caring, affection, forming partnerships, peace, emotional healing, Universal love, purest form of love, love that is unconditional, spiritual love without sex connotation, raises vibrations, sensitivity, healing.
- Designed to attract attention and achieve a purpose in rituals. The color of femininity, Honor, Pleasantness – enhances joyful and lively conversation.
- Enlightenment, protection, success, wealth, money, masculinity, playfulness, luck, divination, victory.
- Enhances communication and attracts the power of cosmic influences; Useful in rituals which are designed to gain fortune or money
- Mother consciousness, manifestation and selflessness, Spirituality, compassion, understanding, inspiration, make contact with Higher-Self, attract spiritual assistance, very calming.
- Communication, truth, peace, calm, loosing weight, wisdom, understanding, protection, harmony, inspiration, truth, patience, health and happiness, luck, communication, loyalty, peaceful, cooling, contentment, healing, idealism, harmony, devotion, meditation,
- Cleanses negative attitudes, situations and places, Happiness, business deals, attracting good things, success, career, goals, stimulation, attraction, power, luck, sudden changes, Warmth, energy building, enthusiasm, attracts success and prosperity, emotional healing, attracts friends, courage and ambition.
- Earth, a balanced color. Rituals for material gain, eliminates indecisiveness, furthers powers of concentration, learning, telepathy. Expands financial success, finds lost items. Material prosperity, Home, friendships, balance, animal magic, earth magic, concentration and studying, wealth, success, intuition, psychic powers and ESP. Protecting pets, Said to help find lost items.
- Use with white candle to neutralize effects of karma and ego. Ancient wisdom, the third eye, psychic powers, meditation, spirituality, success, confidence, hidden knowledge, protection, divination, All forms of expansion, expands what you already have, spiritual protection, power, wisdom, healing, recognition, enhances psychic ability, Recognition in work, contact with spirit world.
- Compassion for self and others, higher mystical powers, humor, Love, romance, opening the heart, forgiveness, compassion, healing, joy, creativity, endurance, strength, stability and security.
- restoration and rejuvenation
- Strength, Success, Idealism, psychic revelation; Ideal for rituals which are designed to secure Ambition, Independence and financial success or to establish contact with the other, spiritual world; Enhances Neptune energy.
- (beige): neutrality, balance and harmlessness
- Burning black with any other color disolves negative energies! Protection, hex-breaking, reversing, banishing, destroying evil or negativity, binding, and repelling. Also used for healing very powerful illnesses.
- Victory, Stability, Mmeditation, Developing Psychic Ability, Removal of Negative Power, Repelling Destruction,
- Cancellation, Neutrality, Stalemate.
- Silver is primarily associated with female deities.